- The mode of delivery,
- Who has to arrange for customs clearances and licenses,
- Passage of title,
- Transfer of risk and insurance responsibilities (i.e., who has to obtain insurance of the merchandise during transport),
- What the delivery terms are,
- How transport costs will be allocated between the parties and,
- When is a delivery completed?
- Define contractual rights,
- Define liabilities and/or obligations between the parties,
- Specify transport details such as transfer and/or delivery of the merchandise,
- Dictate how the title of the merchandise will pass (even though Incoterms can dictate WHEN they transfer),
- Dictate obligations with regards to the merchandise prior to and after delivery,
- Protect a party from his/her own risk of loss.